Saturday, May 29, 2010

Life is but a dream

Last night I had a dream.

Those who know me well will understand that I seldom dream - sleep to me is the same as closing and opening my eyes again. Hence when I do dream, I tend to recall specifically what it was that I saw.

I cannot be sure how it started (the dream), but the furthest back that I can recall was of me pushing through a forest. It was night time (in the dream) and the pitch blackness marred my vision. The vegetation was thick and air was dense - I specifically "tasted" the dirt as a stray leafy branch smacked my mouth as I plowed my way through.

It was endless.

Strangely, aside from the rustling of the vegetation caused by me, there were no cricket or insect noises (now that I think about it). I remember stumbling, snapping twigs and leaves as I plowed for what seemed like hours. I had forgotten why and where I was heading - all I knew was that I wanted to get out of there, out of that jungle......out of the blackness.

A sense of dread filled me as I thought I'd never break out of the darkness....when I caught a glimpse of an amber hue in the sky ahead. It seemed to illuminate the jungle ahead of me - I saw hope, I saw that the vegetation was ending - I heard the light beating of the waves and saw in the dimness a coastal shore.

Making my way ahead, I sat down on the beach to watch the sunrise. I starred straight at the sun as it was starting its ascent into the sky, thinking how lovely it would be if I had company at that point to share the scene with......

When an unsettling chill ran down my spine.

I turned my view back to the jungle to realize that it was gone. Whatever island I was on had suddenly shrunk in size - and was shrinking further as I got up to look around.

The next thing I felt was the taste of salt water - as the ground beneath my feet collapsed into the greenish-blue ocean. Frantically I threaded water and desperately scanned the horizons for land.

Fear set in.

I tried swimming against the bob of the ocean waves, intently looking for anything ahead of me or any signs of movement on the horizon.

Eventually I got tired.

I changed from a freestyle to a "frog-style" to keep my head above the water to look around. It was at this time, that I realized the waves were not gently bobbing - the waves were getting bigger with each ripple. At this point, vulgarities were popping out of my mouth like loose stools out of an upset stomach. Thinking back, I don't know why it did not register that this was a dream. I was lost within and instincts had taken over, I kept thinking that this was the end of it - that I would be swallowed whole by the ocean. The sea had now grown turbulent, I remember being assaulted repeatedly with each ripple of the waves. Blow after blow, they came down hard. I was knocked below the surface more and more each time. I recall the pain in my eyes as it was continually stung by the salty water.

And then it happened.

A force pulled me up and I was on ground again. Coughing out the water and catching my breath, I felt solid ground. Looking around, I realized that next to me was a woman, dressed in a purple robe. Her long hair was grayish, a mixture of black, gray and white. I remember starring into her weathered face. Despite the tell-tale signs of age, her features were delicate and beautiful. Despite the obvious beauty of the woman, I was captivated by her eyes.

Her small slitted eyes combined with the faint wrinkles along the edges of her eyes created an impression that she were tired.....but the piercing black eyes of hers commanded my utmost attention. Those eyes held my gaze.

It was as though she saw straight through my soul.

I felt naked.

Maintaining eye-contact with me, she bent down to the my right ear.....and spoke.

That's when I woke up.

****************

What the woman in my dreams said is for me to know only, for the dream is the subject of sharing - not the words.

Life is very much like this dream. I am no expert on dreams and their meanings, but the one interpretation I'd have of this dream would be symbolic to living life. After conquering the "jungle", Life will present you a new challenge (in my dream, it was an ocean), it does not end. Life does not wait. She does not see if you are ready, she does not care if you can handle it. When you're down, do not bother looking around for someone to pick you up - because no one can live your life for you.

That is the golden rule of the game - that you alone must walk your path.

But not all is so bleak - Life does give you small reprieve (like the sun rise on the beach in my dream). Cherish them regardless of how small and insignificant they may seem. Life does not owe you anything - so treasure the small morsels she throws your way.

Life gave us each a role to play in her grand stage. Acknowledge it, and play it to our best ability.

With patience, resolve and fervor.

Regardless of pain, suffering or reputation.

No comments:

Post a Comment